Sunday, January 6, 2008

Vaa Vennila - Mella Thiranthathu Kadhavu

First time I saw this movie was in early 2000s. I really enjoyed this song in the picture sequence and the tune. I just hope the words are as good considering my lack of Tamil translation ability!

Lyrics here.

More songs from movie here.

In this other video,
Dil Dil Dil Manadhil, the girl has 'two faces.' One she has what Americans may call a unibrow- one long eyebrow connected all the way across (some friends in India used to tell me this was good luck). In the unibrow version, she is not wearing a bindi and has two braided pig tails. I wonder if this the 'Muslim' version of her character without her purdah is in the video below. In the second version of the girl, she has her hair back only partially, rest is down and straight. She has a big bindi and is wearing sari. Here her eyebrows are separated. In this other costume, she also has more prominent earrings and jewelry in her hair.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jayanthi,

It is good to see your transition to Indian culture and actually find gems in the dirt. Amidst all the pollution.population, corruption, chaos etc., India is so so beautiful, culturally rich and an epitome of unity in diversity. Well, I am an Indian living in USA and have always loved India for the above mentioned reasons.

I am from Chennai originally. I love tamil movie/music too. Looks like you have some good taste in that department. Have you seen the movie "Veedu"? if not, you should !! Grabd a DVD with subtitles. The movie is a serious one though, sad but such a reality among the lower-middle class Indians. The background music is an all time hit by Illayaraja. Don't miss and let me know how you liked it.
-Vidya

Visit my blog at craftersparadise.blogspot.com

Kamaraju said...

Translation of First para: Is there any creature in this world that does not love its Mother
Is there any greater act in this world other than bowing down to your mother in respect and awe
There is no GOD other than your mother who is the form of GOD in flesh and bone in front of you