Friday, December 21, 2007

Amma Endrazhaikkaatha- Mannan

I don't think I watched this movie, ever, but the sentiments of the song have stayed with me. The melody is very mesmerising as well.

One interesting tid bit about this song. We stayed in Hotel Sea View in Kanyakumari in 2007. While eating Pongal, vada, sambar for breakfast a familiar musak was playing. It haunted me. I knew it was one of my favorite Tamil songs. It was none other than this very song!

In this video one part of Tamil culture comes around the 3 minute mark. He gives his mom a hair bath with oil and then as he finishes a one second scene shows some smoke from camphor or something placed under her hair. Anyone knows what this is? I guess there is some good quality for the hair. Is there a Tamil word for this process? Can you write the process in Tamil and in English in comments below? Thank you.

Currently I don't have the Tamil or English translated lyrics. If you have them post them in the comments below. Thank you.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear friend,
I am Prakash from Chennai, Tamilnadu, India. I happend to see the video clip today. It is also my favourite song and I searched for it and today got it. Regarding your questions:
It is a song in praise of mother. The man paraises his mother for all that she had done for him. He says whatever the greatest wealth one can find and give it to mom, it would never be equivalent to what mother had done to him. He takes care of his invalid mother and does all the daily routine for her. He bathes her and then gives a coat of incense to her hair using the incense powder called "Sambirani" in tamil. This helps the hair to dry and add a perfume besides helping his mother to avoid catching cold. He shows camphor as shown in the daily worship of god in all temples. I am very happy to note your eagerness to know the invaluable meaning of this song. you can respond to my email prakash_idbi@yahoo.co.uk
Tks. Let you enjoy the bliss of everything.
Prakash

Jen Kumar said...

Nandri, Prakash
I love to learn the culture of South India it's so intriguing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Prakash (or anyone else)

Could you kindly post the meaning of the song word for word along with the lyrics?

I am planning to teach this song to some kids and it would be great to know the exact lyrics and meaning.

Thanks!